These question rounds, of 8-10 questions each, are all on Tolkien's works as represented in films and other media beyond their original book format. Most are from past Varsity quizzes and are thus arranged by the year they were asked.
1. Where does the Middle Earth franchise currently rank on the highest-grossing movies list?
2. According to the films, and entirely misrepresenting the whole situation, why does Thorin need the Arkenstone?
3. What animal does Thranduil apparently use, probably fairly ineffectively (edit: the third film suggests otherwise), as a war steed?
4. How does Saruman (rather gruesomely) die?
5. Who plays Bard, the only inhabitant of the Soviet gulag that is Laketown who looks like he might have heard of washing?
6. “And who is this horrid creature? A goblin mutant?” describes which character?
7. Reprise(-ish) from the book round: complete this stanza: “The bells shall ring in gladness/at the mountain-king's return...”
8. What are the names of Bard's daughters?
9. And who does the actresses' real-life father play?
10. What is Radagast's sled pulled by?
1. What is the first line of Leonard Nimoy's song, "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" ?
2. What is the final event depicted in Ralph Bakshi's 1978 animated version of "The Lord of the Rings"?
3. In what year did a West End musical version of the Lord of the Rings open?
4. Who voiced Frodo in the BBC radio adaptation of "The Lord of the Rings"?
5. Other than himself, which artist did Tolkien choose to illustrate some of his works?
6. Who provided the artwork for the first illustrated edition of The Silmarillion?
7. If played back to back, what would the total combined running time for the extended editions of the three recent Lord of the Rings movies be?
8. How many pieces of armour did Weta Workshop create as props for the three recent Lord of the Rings films?